Camp Ibis
 
Photo: Camp Ibis looking toward the south
 














  Camp Ibis

Camp Ibis was located along U.S. Highway 95, stretching more than 2 miles north to south. 
Camp Ibis street layout
The rock-lined street layout of Camp Ibis is unique with its bend to follow the contour of U.S. Highway 95.

Constructed in winter 1942-1943, Camp Ibis was first occupied by the 4th Armored Division.  After the departure of the 4th in June 1943, the camp was occupied by the 9th Armored Division from July to November 1943.  The 9th Armored Division was replaced by the 11th Division in winter 1943, which was the last division to occupy the camp (Meller 1946 :41-42).  Most of the divisions placed signs indicating their presence at the camps.  The 11th Division was no exception, placing a sign over the main road into Camp Ibis.  Temporary facilities at Camp Ibis consisted of 28 shower buildings for enlisted men and 14 for officers; 173 latrine buildings; 97 single, 127 double, and 100 triple wooden tent frames; a 50,000-gallon, concrete water reservoir; and a 50,000-gallon, wooden, elevated storage tank.  In addition, the camp contained 23 ranges, including ones for moving targets, pistols, rifles, and .50-caliber machine guns.  There were also several combat ranges, vehicle combat ranges, and transition courses.  A POW camp, perhaps associated with Camp Ibis, was reported to have existed near Searchlight Junction, 1 mile south of Camp Ibis (Bard 1972 :139).  Supporting this report are indications that the largest area cleared of ordnance lies immediately west of the Dead Mountains, which are located near Camp Ibis (BLM n.d.). [1: pp: 73]
 

Current Condition
Elements of Camp Ibis remain on both sides of U.S. Highway 95.  That portion lying to the east of the highway is the best preserved.  Many camp roads still exist, as do numerous rock-lined walkways and unit areas.  Rock insignias can also be found, including several consisting of groupings of white quartz.  Tank tracks have been found on the west side of the highway, along with various items of refuse.  A camp dump has been reported to be north of the camp.  The larger and more diagnostic artifacts (e.g., dog tags) have been removed from the site.  Because the site is frequently used by people driving recreational vehicles for overnight camping, many of the rock-lined roadways are disappearing.  Erosion is one of the culprits, although there is evidence that many of the rocks have been moved by visitors.  Fire rings are a common end for many of these walkway stones.

 

   
Mess Tents Roads

 

Camp Ibis Army Airfield
The airstrip is located west of U.S. Highway 95 across from the campsite.  It was reported to have one  2500' X 150' runway at an elevation of 2000'.

   
Ibis Army Airfield looking north Ibis Army Airfield looking east Camp Ibis Airstrip today

 

[1] The Desert Training Center/California-Arizona Maneuver Area,1942-1944 HISTORICAL AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL CONTEXTS; Matt C. Bischoff

Return to top of page
 

 
Date of last edit: August 28, 2011 05:10:20 -0700
Copyright: L. Dighera, 2011; All Rights Reserved: LDighera@att.net