Aerial photographs of Cadiz RR
Depot circa 1998.
Cadiz was a Santa Fe Railroad siding, where the army
leased 600 feet of track. There are several foundations
present at Cadiz, as is an abandoned siding. There are also several areas of historical-period refuse. Because a great deal of railroad
activity has occurred at Cadiz in the past, it is unknown
which of these loci represent DTC/C-AMA related materials.
Several sand and gravel landing strips existed
throughout the DTC/C-AMA.
Satellite map of the remains existing at the Cadiz RR siding.
As the westbound supplies and equipment poured into this northern portion of
DTC from the east, they were unloaded at Goffs or sent on farther south to
or Blythe. The railroad depot located at Cadiz was used to switch the
RR cars from Goffs onto the track leading south to Rice. Not much is known
the camp or troops that operated here.
Today, little remains of the camp at Cadiz Depot.
Still evident are parallel rock alignments which lined the street running east-west. To
the south of that lies an alignment of rocks which
enclose a rectangular area. There is also a low
hill to the east which may have been created as an observation point.
Many artifacts of the WW-II military
activity at this site
still remain. It is easy to see the impressions of
tank tracks from the air. On the ground are the
ubiquitous bottle caps, gas cans, an
occasional tank part, and artifacts.
There was an airstrip here, but
it has not yet been located.
 The Desert Training Center/California-Arizona
Maneuver Area,1942-1944 HISTORICAL AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL CONTEXTS; Matt C.
to top of page